BTN – Levels of Goverment

http://www.abc.net.au/btn/story/s4469199.htm

Summary

Facts

Questions

Insights

This video was mainly about the 3 levels of government in Australia, their responsibilities, and a bit about their history.

The federal government of Australia takes care of the WHOLE country. It deals with defence, trade, communication, the environment and it plays a big role in managing Australia’s money and taxes.

State/territory governments take care of their own individual state or territory (hence the name).They take care of police and courts, health and education, mining and agriculture, roads , trains and public transport.

Local governments take care of local roads, garbage collection, pet control, permits and new buildings. Their  responsibilities may not sound as impressive, there are actually over 500 local governments in Australia.

Did you know Australia’s states used to be separate colonies? They used to be like independent countries, though in 1901, Australia’s states united to become The Commonwealth of Australia! After that, the states passed many of  their powers over to the federal government. The population of Australia grew and the states realised it was getting hard to manage all of the responsibilities they still had. So in the 1970’s local governments got more power and became more popular.

Sometimes, different levels of government’s responsibilities overlap. Sometimes two levels of government have conflicting ideas on the same topic. When that happens, we have laws about who overrules. State can be overruled by federal, and local can be overruled by state.

What would it be like today if Australia had not become The Commonwealth Of Australia?

How are local governments and councils connected? I thought that councils dealt with rubbish collection and pet control?

From what I saw in the video I can tell that most likely sometime in the past 2 levels of government had conflicting ideas.

One thought on “BTN – Levels of Goverment

1. Estella,
    this is an extraordinarily well structured piece. I love the way you have used techniques specifically to engage such as your rhetorical question, making cause and effect connections, and your use of brackets. I particularly love the thoughtful questions and insight you include.
    Great work,
    Ant