100 Word Challenge – …because I said so…

“Ugh, do I have to?” I groaned.

“Yes, you have to babysit your sister!”

“Why?”

“Because I said so!”

Why does she have to babysit me? I can take care of myself you know!” My little sister was standing at the door, with an annoyed look on her face. “I can take care of myself! I could probably do a better job than you!” She pointed at me.

“Hey! You’re only seven!” I shrieked. I did not realise I was arguing from Mum’s point of view.

“Exactly!” Mum said. “So that is why you will babysit your sister! We clear?”

“Yes…” There was no point arguing now.

2 thoughts on “100 Word Challenge – …because I said so…

1. Ha! Your story made me laugh out loud. You did such an amazing job capturing natural interactions between mother and daughters and also sibling relationships. I love how she unknowingly ended up supporting her mom’s point-of-view. We like to call those “parenting wins” at my house! How old was your character who got stuck with babysitting duty? I hope they ended up having a fun night together after all. I would definitely love to read what happened next!

2. Hi Estella,
    This is a really nice piece, a great use of the prompt! This week’s prompt is a phrase used in everyday life, ‘because I said so.’ Bringing visual effect to the words, you describe a setting which follows a character in a domestic setting, a family. By setting out the plot early in the piece, a domestic setting, you create a structure which gives the piece stability and puts the reader in the centre of the action. Using this makes the reader feel attached to the piece, and makes them more engaged. This makes the piece interesting right from the start. The theme of this prompt is one that many will be familiar with, even in their own personal lives, as most people will have experienced being either on the giving or receiving end of this statement, ‘because I said so,’ whether that be from parents telling their children it, teachers saying it to students, siblings saying it to each other (usually from the older one), or friends saying it equally at each other. This makes it very relatable to the reader. This makes the reader imagine such a visual description of the setting as a whole. I can relate to this too as I have been on both ends of such a statement, finding it particularly annoying and condescending to receive, but being so tempting to deliver to another, almost putting the person who says it in an elevated position. It really does make you feel guilty about saying it, so this was a really relatable read for me! By explaining clearly the atmosphere, the relationship between mother and daughters, you engage with the reader and add to the setting. You use imagery which fits perfectly with the setting. Bringing in specific information like the little sister’s age, seven, demonstrates great imagination. This puts the reader in the front of the story, and this really makes you focus on the piece. Emphasis that your character is clearly very reluctant to look after their little sister, rather wanting to spend time om their own doing something else, fully fleshes out your point and makes it very apparent for the reader. The piece continues to develop, as we find out that the little sister clearly isn’t very happy about the arrangement either, thinking she could do a better job anyway. Being a domestic setting, fitting with the familial theme, this description brings a lot of realism to the piece, as many people have experienced being told to look after a younger sibling when they were younger, and really not wanting to do it. For me I didn’t mind doing this too much! The use of the child’s logic in the piece, that while she didn’t want to babysit her sister, she agreed her little sister was too small to be left alone, resonates really well with the reader, almost making the reader imagine the thoughtfulness of the character. The ending of the character saying that there was no point in arguing brings a very relatable and familiar ending to the piece, as many of us have felt like that at some point, finding it easier to give in than to carry on arguing. Good use of grammar and punctuation too, especially your use of the ellipsis. Keep up the good work!